Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Get Owned 2









I was excited to hear that Get Amped 2 had finally been put back out to the public again after its apparent placement in suspended animation. I loved that game in the Beta and I was sad to hear that the game was going to close, I was even more depressed, and even a little flabbergasted when I heard that it wasn’t going to come out again for years.

But now its back and boy are there changes. Unfortunately they are NOT changes for the better.

In Get Amped 2 you play the role of one of one of the multitudes of people from all across the stars who has come to take part in a (seemingly endless) fighting tournament. Apparently the entire universe is not only the planets in our galaxy, but also includes several parallel dimensions; I’ll explain the meaning of that statement in just a second. There are many ways to fight your opponents; player or otherwise. There are also many different maps each of which are quite stylish. However due to the multitudes of weapons, tools, and maps at your disposal this game quickly lost its balance. Returning to my previous comment the outfits your character wears are 100% cosmetic. You can even customize your own outfit and pay 2,000 in game coins to wear that custom skin in the battle field. As awesome as this idea is, I was shocked at the vast amount of people that actually DIDN’T have original outfits.

Almost everyone was dressed as a character from either a Game or an Anime; I even saw the entire cast of Soul Eater at one point. No one in that game seems to have the least bit sense of creativity which quickly ruins the point of having a fully customizable outfit in the first place.

While weapons are involved with this game, the abilities your character has are based off of your “accessory.” These range from claws to staffs to swords and everything in between. Sadly there are items in this game that are clearly superior to others, there’s no sence of balance present in this game at all. The 100k weapons are the tools of gods and will allow you to slaughter everyone in your path, while the 5k weapons are so horribly underpowered they have no earthly business being in the game in the first place.

Although the looks are cosmetic there are a number of classes like in Rumble Fighter. Just like the weapons some are clearly superior while others are left for the slaughter. The “beginner friendly” balanced character’s stats are so low that he’s nothing more than a punching bag, while the spy can’t be touched and the knight can’t be killed without an entire army due to his ridiculous defense.

I cannot believe one of my personally favorite games has died so quickly. On top of that, I can’t believe how bad the game is, considering it was closed for development for what – 3 years? If you’re gonna take a game off the market that long for the sake of testing, you might want to, oh I don’t know…TEST IT.

Get Amped 2 gets a 2 out of 10, It’s really hard for me to talk down a game I used to love so much, but the GA2 I loved is long dead.