Monday, May 16, 2011

Vengeance Doesn't Factor Into This

With the success of Forsaken World I returned to Perfect World Entertainment searching for my next great play. There are a few games in development it seems, none of which would let me into Closed Beta testing *sad face* so I’ll have those to look forward to, in the mean time I stuck with Jade Dynasty: Vengeance, a PVP MMO.

While this game isn’t the totally horrible game I was looking for in my last review it certainly didn’t meet my standards when it was compared to the epic that is Forsaken World. The graphics and music were stunning but that was all the game had going for it, everything looks like something that has been done before; only much MUCH better. Jade Dynasty isn’t bad though, it’s simply run of the mill; nothing new to show to the world, it’s almost like a one of those Abominations from Warcraft, only each part of the body that is sown on represents a different game whose ideas JD is using.

The game is an absolute grind fest in an attempt to get to a decent enough level that you can enter an arena and not suck horribly, but hey I guess that’s the norm for PVP MMOs it’s all about doing whatever it takes to get to a higher level than your opponent, until you get to the max level in which case it becomes a battle over who has the best equipment (see World of Failcraft –cough- Warcraft). The worst part about it is you’ll get your quests in roughly groups of 5, each of the quests wants you to kill the same creature but the quests don’t stack. In other words you have to fulfill the requirements of each quest one after the other, considering all the quests are literally nothing more than “kill [number] of [this]” you’ll easily end up grinding the poor creatures into extinction. After words the game says its sorry by giving you so much XP from the quests you end up jumping like 8 levels, and that’s outside of the 4 levels you gained from killing the creatures in the first place.

Last thing I’d like to point out is how overpowered the Assassin classes are, I mean I know they’re suppose to be heavy hitters but your very first skill hits so hard that you 1 hit kill your quest target. This is effective at getting rid of the grinding, but at one point while killing my usual 128 monsters (that’s the literal number by the way, I actually did the math out of boredom) I stumbled upon a well hidden boss distinguishable only by the name which you don’t see until after you begin attacking it, rather than panicking like what SHOULD happen when you start fighting a boss by yourself I simply sighed and said “oh look I found a boss” followed a minute later by “well that was fun…back to the slaughter.”

I myself am thoroughly disappointed in Jade Dynasty: Vengeance, however there’s nothing absolutely horrible with it so it’s not like I’m gonna give it a bad score. JD scores 5 out of 10, and who knows; maybe there’s a silver lining after the grind fests and over powered killers.