Monday, October 3, 2011

Born of A Different Bloodline

It seems until Guild Wars 2 comes out I’m doomed to continue to play through the demos that at this point I’m sure big brand developers are releasing for the sole purpose of spitting on my attempts to review games. Luckily one development team has seen the light and it’s their game I am going to review!

This was originally suppose to be a review of Age of Conan online, but honestly if you want a review for that go watch Yahtzee’s Zero Punctuation review cause my opinions on the game are no different. (I’ll even leave the link to the video for you at the bottom of this review to entice you to read it. [To those of you looking at your scroll down bar at this moment turn around because I’m right behind you and I’m holding a knife]) If you just fell for the above statement then put down Silent Hill 2 [that means you Yahtzee!] and check out this game: Bloodline Champions.

BLC is a MOBA MMO similar to the DoTAs like League of [blaaaaahhh]. Think DoTA without the Minions, because that’s exactly what it is. In this game instead of controlling a champion you pick a “bloodline” to represent your fighting style. Bloodlines can overlap in an arena unlike the Heroes and Champions of DoTAs and they all have similar play styles only tweaked a bit so that they vary from blood line to blood line. Each blood line has a “spam” skill, a “heavy hit” skill, a “chase/escape” skill, and a specific condition depending on the play style. The fire bloodlines do DoT Ignite damage while the warlock champs siphon health and cause fear.

Despite the massive array of bloodlines they are all flawlessly balanced a word that is apparently is on RIOT Game’s naughty list since a flawlessly balanced game is something they seem to be almost intentionally avoiding. You can buy champs with ingame cash, or with real life money (which defiantly takes a lot less time) and you can also play 5 bloodlines free each week. Like HoN and LoL BLC has costumes for sale for real money. However unlike HoN and LoL you can buy not only skins for your bloodline, but also skins for your weapon. You can ever buy a gender swap to play as male versions of female champs and vice versa.

As I constantly stress in my action MMO reviews this is something that is LONG OVERDUE. I honestly felt like I was playing myself in the game and that says A LOT for a MOBA whose set ups are typically 100% linear short of a few minor cosmetic upgrades.

Bloodline Champions is AMAZING, it bets LoL, HoN, RoT, I even dare to say it will be better than DoTA2, because quite frankly it is completely unique and endless hours of fun, which is more than I can say for its “Ancient” counterparts.

Bloodline Champions scores an 8 out of 10 if you’re into MOBAs then add this to your collection ASAP cause it’s nothing short of spectacular.

(also before I forget here’s Yahtzee’s Age of Conan Review: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/138-Age-of-Conan)